Mini Crab Cakes with Salsa
A seafood classic prepared in an unconventional, mouth-watering way.
- 450 g fresh crabmeat
- 1 egg, for crab cakes
- 1 egg, for breading
- ⅔ cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs), for crab cakes
- ½ cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs), for breading
- 2 tablespoons Wafu® Original Sesame Japanese Dressing
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ red pepper, diced
- ½ green pepper, diced
- 4 tablespoons diced fresh pineapple
- ¼ lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- In a small bowl, beat one egg.
- In a large bowl, mix the crabmeat and ⅔ cup panko. Add the egg, the Wafu® Original Sesame Japanese Dressing
and the salt and pepper, to taste. Mix well using your hands.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate the crab mixture for ½ hour.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl prepare the salsa by mixing the red pepper, green pepper, pineapple, lime juice and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover the salsa and set aside.
- Remove the crabmeat mixture from the refrigerator. Shape the crabmeat into 8 small round cakes about 2½ cm thick and set aside on a plate.
- Fill three breading pans; one pan with the flour, the second pan with a beaten egg and the third with the remaining ½ panko.
- Carefully coat each crab cake first with flour, then with egg and finally with the breadcrumbs.
- Deep fry the crab cakes in vegetable oil at 375 degrees for 4-5 minutes, or until they become golden brown.
- Remove crab cakes from oil and transfer to a paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Place crab cakes on a serving platter. Garnish each cake with 1 tablespoon of the salsa. Serve immediately.
PREP TIME: 45 minutes
COOKING TIME: 10 minutes