Spicy Fish & Chips
Replace the tartar sauce with spicy mayo and get the hottest thing in fish and chips.
- 4 medium russet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons safflower oil
- Sea salt (for chips)
- Freshly ground black pepper (for chips)
- Safflower oil, for deep-frying
- Sea salt (for fish)
- Freshly ground black pepper (for fish)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 bottle (341 mL) cold beer
- Flour, for dredging
- 680 g white fish fillets (cod or tilapia), cut into strips
- Wafu® Spicy Mayonaizu® Japanese mayo
- To make chips, preheat oven to 220ºC.
- Scrub potatoes thoroughly and remove any eyes. Cut each potato into 6 wedges.
- Place potato wedges in a roasting tray and coat with oil, salt and pepper, to taste. Toss to ensure that all the wedges are properly coated. (Add more oil if needed). Spread out the potato wedges skin-side down.
- Place tray in oven and roast for 30-35 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown on the outside and tender in the inside. To check this, poke a potato with the tip of a knife.
- Meanwhile, pour oil into a deep frying pan (or deep fryer) and heat to 190ºC. Season the fish fillets with salt and pepper on both sides, to taste.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and beer until the texture is thick and creamy.
- Dredge each fish fillet in flour and dip into the batter until covered.
- Carefully immerse each fillet into the oil one by one. Let cook for 4-5 minutes or until batter is golden brown and crispy. Remove from oil and place on paper towel.
- Remove potatoes from oven.
- Serve fish and chips with spicy mayo.
PREP TIME: 20 mintues
COOKING TIME: 35 minutes